Today’s prompt: “Why Change is So Hard” video
According to Dan Heath, featured in the prompt video below, psychologists have proven time and again that, and I quote, “self control in the broad sense of the term, meaning anytime we’re really monitoring our own behaviour carefully, is exhaustible … In almost every change situation, what we’re doing is we’re substituting new unfamiliar behaviours for behaviours that are older and more comfortable and that burns self control … What looks like laziness is often exhaustion. Change simply wears people out. Even well intentioned people will simply run out of self control after a while.”
Based on the above quote and featured video, I’m convinced I have migraine burn out.
- I’ve been trying to carry out the migraine trigger free diet outlined in the book, Heal Your Headache The 1-2-3 Program, by Dr. David Buchholz, M.D, for the past three years with no success.
- I recently decided to try eating a gluten free diet – no success.
- I’ve been trying to consistently write in my migraine diary – yet another failed attempt just this month, which means I have to restart my milestone counter huh!
- I’ve been trying to adjust my sleep patterns; again with no success. N.B. When I have a #10 migraine during the day, I sleep for hours and then I can’t sleep at night. Then I have a period of weeks where I sleep until 12 noon or later and go to bed after 3:00am. I can usually resume a regular sleep pattern, but not for the past 3 months or more.
- I’ve been trying to carry out a low impact exercise program 3 times per week – again no success.
In the beginning, I had such self-control. I did everything according to the “migraine rules”. I suppose it was because it was all new and I hoped to effect change; hope that was perhaps lost as weeks turned into months, months into years and years into more than a decade of chronic migraine, thus rendering me EXHAUSTED. Exhausted with self-control. Exhausted with the pain and disabling effects of migraine and exhausted by the stigma attached to it.
I am thoroughly exhausted – burnt out! As such the video left me with a question. How do you regain your self-control?
Any suggestions from those who continue to have self-control in the areas I mentioned? Or suggestions from those who lost it and regained it? Help!
For more information on this blog challenge (hosted by the American Headache & Migraine Association (AHMA)), and/or to participate see more at: MHAM Blog Challenge 2014 .